Thursday, May 27, 2010

First 100 days (백일)

I arrived in Korea on February 18, 2010 and as of 5:50 am on May 28 I have been here for 100 days. In the U.S. the only thing we seem to measure in terms of 100 days is the progress of a newly elected President. In Korea, there is a celebration when a baby reaches 100 days old. In a way, I felt like a helpless infant when I arrived. Thankfully I know a few words now, can feed myself and am able to get around on my own.

I was shocked to think that it had been 100 days already, so I tried to think about what 100 days meant. I broke it down into smaller parts.
3 months, 11 days
2400 hours
144,000 minutes
8,640,000 seconds

But that wasn't very meaningful.

Instead, I looked at it this way:
  • I have about 600 different students.
  • I have run approximately 150 miles (exactly 30km in two races).
  • I know about 100 words and/or phrases in Korean
  • I have taken almost 70 round trip subway rides.
  • I started teaching 22 classes per week and I am up to 24
  • I have been to the jimjilbang (찜질방) 17 times.
  • I share my office with 8 other teachers and consider one of them a close friend.
  • I have 5 co-teachers for my English classes.
  • I have 3 friends that I've climbed with.
  • I have been to 2 braai's with my 3rd coming tomorrow
  • I have 2 friends that I run with.
  • I take Korean lessons 2 times per week.
  • I have been to one Korean wedding.
  • I now own 0 cars and have never been more satisfied.

For my 100 day anniversary here I brought some treats in for all the other teachers. I kept it as a surprise and I don't think that they were expecting anything. It was a fun week of field trips and picnics so treats on Thursday was another appreciated surprise.

When I arrived in Korea the weather was unusually cold. It has been a slow thaw and summer has set in with a vengeance. My group of friends here are as big of fans of summer as I am. They are always doing something fun and active.

The time here has gone so fast, I can't believe next week is already June.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Dan...its pretty scary thinking about it like that!
    100 days, another 265 or so to go.
    But u didnt mention the very cool group (about 6 +-) South Africans you've met, I'm hurt :(

    Hehe, anyways! see u for the braai tomorrow (maybe that shld go on ur list too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rox...I have a special South African edition planned. Don't think for a minute that I could forget you guys!

    ReplyDelete