Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hanging with the brothers Hong

I was lucky enough to have a three days off this week. My friend Woon-ki took me to meet his brother and we went together to a pottery exhibition in Woon-ki's home town, Yeoju.

Woon-ki's brother is a potter and makes Korea's smallest pottery. I didn't realize until I moved here that Korea is famous for pottery. Ironically, Korean's refer to fired clay pots as "China" despite the fact that Korea has historically had the best potters and pottery (a fact that I learned here from what were likely biased sources).


These are samples of dry, powdered clay. They varied in quality ranging from floury and fine to granular and coarse. None of them tasted good at all.

















This is Fuji Tomoki, one of 2 Japanese potters in attendance at the festival. His son made his pants for him. He made tea for us. We all spoke English together.





























2 comments:

  1. Incredible - I thoroughly enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man...I REALLY want to study ceramics in Korea...really really REALLY bad. Love the blog, dude...its kiff!

    ReplyDelete