Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Oh goodness! It's already June!

Just a quick update, there is more I will be posting very soon.

March came in like a lion and left like a lamb...and that lamb is broiling nicely in the furnace that is June. It is hot here. And humid. Wisconsin is hot and humid in the summer, but this is a bit more extreme. My school's chosen method of keeping cool is opening the huge sliding windows and hoping for some cross wind to blow the muggy, stagnant air out of the building. There are no screens on the windows, but we don't have to worry about insects. The odd bee or fly that got in during the mild spring months has isn't a concern now as all life smaller than a mouse has likely died in this heat.

The students have switched to their summer uniforms and the teachers all look like middle managers with their casual and mildly effective short sleeve shorts. We turn on ceiling-mounted fans in the afternoons, but they mostly just push the air around the room. The school has large air conditioning units, but those are mostly there to mock us and to pile office supplies on.

Running is almost unbearable so we have to go at night. Why I thought signing up for multiple 20k races was a good idea is a great example of my undying optimism. Let's see if my body can also be undying this weekend as Joe, Ashleigh and I attempt another 20k mountain race in the southern part of the country.

The monsoon is expected to start very soon, so with any luck it will give us a short respite from the heat before the sun hits the standing rainwater and the country turns into one giant sauna. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. It is hot and I want to be able to convey that to you. My apartment has a futuristic remote controlled air conditioning unit. Thanks to my dwelling's tiny size, I can reduce the temperature in a few short minutes.

More to come soon...

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, the ever present prescence of the taunting airconditioners...lifes not fair...we freeze in winter, and get heat stroke in summer...and the kids with their so called summer uniforms (jackets,jeans & a hand held paper fan) Oh how we love u Korea

    ReplyDelete